16 December 2013

Sensory Overload – Interview with Yanti Amos, Owner of Earth Yoga

How our Surroundings Inspire our Business and Design

Our designers constantly remind us at Lolo and Galago of the importance of their surroundings to help inspire them to create their beautiful jewellery. It’s one of our founding principles that we scour the World for international designer talent and we actively encourage surroundings and culture to have an impact on our designs. In this hectic time towards Christmas, we thought it might be useful to remind you how your surroundings make effect your choices in life and also introduce Yanti Amos from Earth Yoga NYC to talk more about the importance of taking time to be inspired by your surroundings and take time out for yourself.

Yanti when did you set up Earth Yoga and how do you think your surroundings effected how you set up Earth Yoga?

My husband Richard and I created Earth Yoga NYC in 2009 and we created a community which is warm, nurturing and supportive.  
As a practicing yogini, attention to my surroundings is really important. I have daily rituals that I adhere to quite strictly because I work better with a set routine and because I like to centre myself before my day begins. That usually starts with early morning meditation or brahma muhurta-- yogis believe this is a powerful time to commune with ancient sages and saints and as one of the most potent times of the day, they believe this is when they will gain inspiration and guidance. I like to light a candle and look at the sun rise when I do all of the above. 




New York is called the ‘ City that Never Sleeps’ – how do you create a balance between your business and lifestyle?

The big test for me and anyone I guess, is finding the peace within you when your outside environment is hectic. This is the enormous challenge in New York City because as a busy business owner you're being pulled in all directions much of the time. But I do think this quiet time dedicated to yourself is essential in order to be able to give back fully to the business, people you care for, and to allow you to be inspired by your surroundings and inner senses which you use to develop your business. 




What tips do you have for people to appreciate and be inspired by their surroundings?

My big tips for helping people appreciate their surroundings and keep a sense of calm include: 1. When you're at your desk at home or at the office, take time to close your eyes and listen to your breath-- notice one thing about the breath but don't try and control it-- relax the shoulders and send the breath to your belly. Breathe for at least 5 full breath cycles. 2. Another nice quick tip is to close your eyes and use your imagination to see yourself doing something you love or being with someone who makes you laugh. Breathe into that image and allow yourself to smile. Feel your tension release.

Meditation and yoga have untold benefits-- most obvious are that with a simple meditation practice you can become more creative, more productive, improve your memory and studies have shown that thanks to the neuroplasticity of the brain, you can actually increase IQ. For me personally, when I meditate I am more calm, compassionate, much less stressed, and quicker at resolving complicated problems. I get to the root of issues quicker with an interesting balance of using my intuition with my intelligence. I can't imagine not meditating. That's why I love teaching new clients - I want them to know and feel the benefits and to get to know themselves better. When you're comfortable with yourself, then you start to see your interconnection with other living things.



It’s getting busier towards Christmas and whilst we are working hard toward our launch, and our designers are constantly being inspired by their surroundings, it helps to keep them invigorated and create new unique jewellery pieces. Why don’t you give yourself a few moments a day, just like Yanti does- I think you will find that inspiration can come from anywhere!

 Written by: Rosie May Reddington & Yanti Amos


No comments:

Post a Comment