20 August 2013

Quick Interview with Asian jewellery designer Sasha Wu

Why did you choose to design jewellery?
When I was little, my mother took me for shopping one day and asked me to pick one thing in the store. I chose a small necklace, over all the cute tiny dresses and shoes. The cashier lady told my mother that necklace was the best seller. I was too young to remember any of this, but that was how I got my first jewellery piece. It was a tiny square shaped pendant setting with stones. I sill have it today and after all these years, it never loses its charm.

I guess there is a decision for everyone to make about what you want to do with your life. When I started creating drawings, every girl in my class wanted to be a ‘major’ in womenswear. I love fashion but I wasn’t sure that designing garments was really the right thing for me. About that time I did a jewellery course and I then it became clear it was my passion. I know I love designing jewellery with all my heart and I wanted to build my life around that love.

What is your process to make the jewellery?  
It depends on the piece and collection, but in general speaking it starts with making the sketch into a sample model.  It could be any material related to the current collection. It helps me to understand the possible problem and solution. When I have a detailed sketch and matching sample in front of me, then I know I can get what I want.

What is the name, inspiration and influence behind your collection?
I always find myself inspired by fantastic literature, and historical legends. For example, the siren collection is based on the story of Odysseus, and the spice trail collection was inspired by the empress Arjumand Banu Begum.

What message are you trying to portray to people with your work?
I think the great thing about jewellery is that it builds connections between the designers and wearers. It does the same thing as poetry. It is not only about how it looks. If you like my pieces, you might also enjoy the dream I build with my designs. Each time you look at it, you would review the story all over again. By that way we are sharing our dreams and hopes.

What do you enjoy the most about working with Lolo and Galago?
I am very happy to work with Lolo and Galago. It has been a great opportunity for me, and I met some truly wonderful people. I really appreciated in terms of the freedom I was given. I was encouraged to explore all the possibilities. When a problem appears, there is always someone with me whereas when you design by yourself, you need to sort out yourself.

Which is your favorite country to travel to and why?
From all the countries I have traveled to, I like Netherlands the most. The view is amazing, and there are many great galleries and market to visit. But London would always be my favorite city - yesterday, today and tomorrow. J

Which trend in 2014 are you most excited about?
The theme ‘Print’ I want to add one new dress to my closetpreferably something with a vintage colour plattes.

How do you like to wear your jewellery?
When I am working I wear jewellery in collections. The rest time I like to mix and match, and explore the possibilities. I like wear one earring pieces as brooches, sometimes pin both of them on as collar decorations.

What do you like most about British culture? What is your perfect day?

I love everything about British; there is nothing I don’t like about it. A Sunday brunch at Brick Lane, followed an afternoon in Tate Modern, and a drink with friends near the Thames would make my day. Of course, it would be even better if it doesn’t rain. J

No comments:

Post a Comment